Monday 2 October 2017

Interpretation of Studio Brief 2



OUGD403

Interpretation of Studio Brief 2



Through thorough understanding of Studio Brief 2 I will create a series of logo types to rebrand my chosen Artist Ai Wei Wei. I will only use type to express my ideas. This will enable me to experiment with a range of aspects through type such as scale of the logo, stroke and spacing using Adobe Illustrator. Altering the contrast and alignment to create a logo that represents the Artist and his work.
I need to consider information, such as information about the artist such as what inspires them, what the ideas are behind the exhibition and how these can visually communicate and contribute to the Exhibition. I will also need to consider where my logotype will appear as this is important for the scale and other aspects of the logotype. I will research necessary information to help me gain a better understanding of the Artist and his work. 
This includes understanding the target audience of the exhibition and how my choice of visual language can be used appropriately. I also will research the use of logotype in contemporary ways. An example of this may be considering how my logo design may be used for modern technology and the complications of this. I will experiment using a range of formats and layouts this will allow me to develop my ideas throughout the design process.  I have developed a great appreciation of type forms, this is after close analysis in previous briefs and during my individual research.
I will also focus and experiment with manipulation Of Vignelli’s six typefaces. Experimenting with alterations slightly, in a more abstract way and even in more fine detail. I will need to experiment to make sure my letterforms work together in a sequence or series of the artist and or his exhibition. 

AIM 

My aim was to present ideas inspired by the Whitney Museum. I experimented by considering how I could change an idea. Such as by altering perspective or creating a sequence showing how the idea could develop even into an animation. This was inspired by the changing logo on the Whitney Museum website. I knew I wanted my logotype to reflect the artist. I thought branding for the artist would be more timeless than the exhibition as it displays visually how the artist is recognised. The way I decided to brand Ai Wei Wei was originally by his Chinese background. However, then I decided to subtly relate to context focusing more on a key aspect from Ai Wei Wei’s life. Therefore I worked with type forms being contained within one another. Then shapes I liked created from joined letterforms formed the basis of my design ideas. This portrays visual power of Ai Wei Wei’s house arrest. I used the letter “i” to symbolise Ai Wei Wei. The letter “i” vaguely resembles a person. The lines across the letters represent enclosure or jail a literal place we associate with arrest.



No comments:

Post a Comment