Monday 6 November 2017

Final Critique Feedback

Referencing the Critique Feedback Received 


Through the feedback given I was able to clearly identify areas of improvement and aspects I have completed well. General feedback I received outlined how on smaller scale with less kerning the typeface challenged legibility. The solution to this is to increase kerning or use the bold variation for smaller type forms. This is a problem I outlined myself through my development but was reinforced to my knowledge through the feedback I received. The legibility is inevitably going to be challenged for each letterform differently. As the type follows a strict rule. Some letters are easier to construct using five shapes over others. A solution to improve each letterform legibility is again kerning. Although all other feedback I received has been generally good as my alternative variations of the type specimen were seen as very well designed and well presented, as they really communicate the aesthetics of the typeface. Feedback also showed a few people preferred the black and white specimen because the colour version didn't really highlight anything. However, the black and white highlights the details of my design through simple contrast. The feedback received also outlined how basically the type works best and proves more efficiently legible on a larger scale. This means it is probably more effective in branding over editorial. Although in my opinion the type would be great and could still be used as a large scale title perhaps in a magazine or on a billboard. The rationale also needs improved to make more clear references to my context and background research that influenced my design. The feedback I received was predominantly positive although I have taken all comments into consideration for the improvements of my design and overall work.


"I prefer the black and white specimen - the colour version doesn't really add anything" 

"The black and white version is very effective - highlights the details of your design with simple contrast."

"Since it's construction challenges legibility (not a bad thing) what context would it be used in - not sure about editorial but definitely branding."

"I feel like the typeface works better with the blocks filled in, although this loses clarity visually because you no longer see the 5 blocks - but would be more legible with a fill." 







No comments:

Post a Comment